CNLC is transforming its grounds and programs into a model sustainable house and eco-learning centre for the Carlton Community.
We’re building on a strong foundation of previous programs, including One Planet Carlton (delivered in partnership with Environment Victoria) and long standing efforts by staff, students and volunteers to imbed sustainable practices across our broad suite of programs and operations.
In short, it’s an exciting time at CNLC and there are many projects and initiatives to get involved in including:
The Carlton Future Gardens Project
- Developing a hands on sustainability training program that utilises the incredible knowledge of many of our students and community members, and is directly applicable to the needs and lifestyle of our community members.
- Transforming our garden into an edible, beautiful, sustainable, educational sanctuary for staff, students and all who pass through our gate
- Reconfiguring our house and grounds into a water-wise demonstration site, with best practice technology and design
- Developing community and ESL learning resources that are fun, practical, meaningful and an open resource for our networks and other community bodies.
Social Enterprise Sustainability Hub: In Your Patch Project
- identify social enterprise opportunities across our student body and wider community
- develop viable business models and upskill our staff and community members in the process
- test and pilot an initial enterprise on a small scale
- link with local business and enterprise experts to assist in enterprise development and training
- research and secure funding for future development
Other CNLC sustainability initiatives:
Developing a community composting hub
Developing an open community garden and locally sourced monthly meal
Researching and implementing a behaviour change program around energy and waste for students, staff and centre users
We have lots of garden blitzes, workshops, open days and harvest festivals happening over the months ahead, so get in touch to register interest with Tom and Tanya at:
Ph: 03 9347 2739
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram and YouTube